IceSculpture.com 1st Invitational Ice Sculpting Competition
& Live Exhibition Ice Sculpting
Looking for something to do President’s Day Weekend? Ever wanted to watch world-class artists create living masterpieces and compete against each other? Join us for live interactive exhibition sculpting during Beaver Creek Resorts PrezFest on Saturday, February 16th from 11 AM-3PM in Beaver Creek Village. Throughout the Village you will find six world-renowned ice sculptors hard at work producing “Americana” ice sculptures to celebrate President’s Day weekend in the mountains.
Can’t make it to the mountains until Sunday? You won’t want to miss IceSculpture.com’s first invitational ice sculpting competition Sunday, February 17, 2013 as a part of the Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa’s Fire & Ice event in Nottingham Park, Avon Colorado from 3-7 PM. The live ice spectacle continues as these legendary ice sculptors (and IceSculpture.com Affiliates) don their chainsaws and chisels yet again to create masterpieces. Only this time they will be competing for cash prizes! People’s Choice 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes will be awarded to the sculptors as chosen by you! The Town of Avon is going all out so you can enjoy an unforgettable afternoon full of live competition ice sculpting, food, live music, family activities and bonfire followed by their phenomenal fireworks. Balloon, sculpting, hula hoop artists, fire pits, hot refreshments and warming huts will also be provided by the Town of Avon. Be sure to come to Nottingham Park to watch and vote for your favorite ice sculpture by Richard Bubin, Don Lowing, Derek Maxfield, Ben Rand, Scott Rella or Peter Slavin.
• 3-6 PM Ice Sculpting Competition
• 5:30-6 PM People’s Choice Voting
• 6 PM Awards & Ice Bonfire
• 6:30 PM Avon’s famous fireworks…the largest display in the Colorado Rockies.
This will be a President’s Day Weekend to remember!
More about the Sculptors:
• Richard Bubin – Owner of Ice Creations, Master Ice Carver and Guinness World Record Holder for the Fastest Ice Carver for 61,300 lb. blocks carved into 61 different sculptures in 4 hours 22 minutes, and 55 seconds set back in January 2002. He was also Team Captain U.S.A. Winter Olympic Ice Carving Team 2002 in Salt Lake City Utah. Richard is a veteran of over 250 professional ice competitions and over 5000 live performance shows for entertaining guests.www.icecreations.com
• Don Lowing – Don Lowing is a multimedia artist based in Philadelphia focusing on sculpture and design. Originally trained as a chef, he embraced the medium of ice at an early age and has dedicated the past 20 years mastering the art of ice sculpting. His training began with an AA degree in Culinary Arts and a BFA degree in Sculpture and Multimedia Design. Don works in several other mediums including wood, metals, film and multimedia projects, however ice is the core medium spanning all works. His ice installations have displayed throughout the United States, South America, and Europe through collaborative projects, marketing events, unique commissions, and international ice competitions. Don has won countless awards throughout the United States, Alaska and Europe participating in ice sculpture competitions. Additional ice works, awards, sculptures and multimedia projects are available at DonLowing.com
• Derek Maxfield – With extensive culinary training and more than 20 successful years in the ice sculpting business Derek Maxfield creates and executes out-of-this-world ice sculptures that are captured on Food Network’s primetime series, Ice Brigade, which follows his team as they make awe-inspiring interactive creations like pool tables, bowling lanes, grand pianos, carousels and putt-putt courses. Derek and his partner Randy Finch currently teach ice sculpture and coach world champion sculptors. www.iceguru.com
• Ben Rand – is the reigning 2012 US NICA National Champion. Ben has competed around the world in events such as: The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, 2006 Winter Olympics in Turino, Italy, the World Ice Championships in Fairbanks, Alaska, the Karuizawa Ice Festival in Japan, and many of the top Ice carving events held in the USA including the National Ice Carving Championships 03-12. www.styledice.com
• Scott Rella – is an artist and entrepreneur whose work has been seen around the globe. Aside from being an Olympian and World Champion ice sculptor he has also been awarded the Public Art Award. He has been featured in Sculpture Magazine, as well as countless TV spots that include Around the World with Charles Kuralt, Sunday Morning, Ripley’s Believe it or Not, David Letterman, Regis and Kathy, and the Food Network to name just a few. Scott has been an icon in the Ice Industry before it existed paving the way for other artist entrepreneurs. In 1996 Scott brought the living ice art form to the Vail Valley establishing the industry for the community he loves. When he wasn’t on the slopes he managed to found five successful ice sculpting companies; Ice Sculpture Designs, Big Ice, Inc., Fear No Ice, Aspen Vail Ice and finally IceSculpture.com. www.icesculpture.com
• Peter Slavin – has been sculpting ice since he was 18yrs old. It all started at the age of 15 when he helped an ice sculptor on a loading dock handing tools to him, where he was a dishwasher and prep cook. After that it stayed in his heart. Since he has traveled and sculpted huge works of art in over 100 countries and won a few world championships. He has over 100 medals. Peter resides in Philadelphia where he is a partner in a local ice biz that services the Tri-State area. He is also co founder in Fear No Ice, doing live performance ice sculpture entertainment for fortune 500 companies. Peter presently is focusing on designing and building permanent ice lounges around the world, from New Zealand to Las Vegas to Madrid and NYC. Peter resides in Philadelphia with his wife Elaina and their two boys Miles and Maxwell… his greatest creations so far. www.fearnoice.com